Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An expression equivalent to "Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth"

2 posters

Go down

An expression equivalent to "Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth" Empty An expression equivalent to "Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth"

Post by Xeddy Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:47 am

Hi there,

The other day I was trying to get across the phrase "Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth" to a Portuguese speaker and wondered if there was a Portuguese phrase that gets across the same idea?

Thanks v. much Basketball

Xeddy

Back to top Go down

An expression equivalent to "Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth" Empty Re: An expression equivalent to "Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth"

Post by SteelInferno Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:34 pm

There's a very similar expression:

A cavalo dado não se olha o dente.

It literally means: "One doesn't look at the teeth of a horse that was given [to you for free]"

Unfortunately I couldn't find an official source for this but perhaps someone else might.
SteelInferno
SteelInferno

http://www.ineslopes.com

Back to top Go down

An expression equivalent to "Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth" Empty Thanks

Post by Xeddy Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:29 am

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I'm surprised they didn't think of that when I was talking to them?!

Xeddy

Back to top Go down

An expression equivalent to "Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth" Empty Re: An expression equivalent to "Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth"

Post by SteelInferno Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:34 am

Perhaps it was the lack of reference to the teeth that confused them lol!
SteelInferno
SteelInferno

http://www.ineslopes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down