Professions: Barrister/Avogado especializado que comparece em tribunal

 :: Languages :: English :: Professions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Professions: Barrister/Avogado especializado que comparece em tribunal

Post by Kangas on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:13 am


Advogado especializado em leis que intrevém/comparece em tribunal

This month we will be talking about professions. Some are quite easy to translate such as doctor, nurse even translator, but others might be harder and lead to errors.

This week’s profession is barrister. This is a word that doesn’t have a direct translation. In the UK a barrister is a lawyer who is qualified to represent clients in a higher court. In Canada it’s a lawyer who pleads in courts and in the US is a less common word for lawyer.

In Portuguese it is translated as “advogado especializado em leis que intervém/comparece em tribunal”.

Collins Dictionary Online wrote:

1. Also called: barrister-at-law (in England) a lawyer who has been called to the bar and is qualified to plead in the higher courts Compare solicitor. See also advocate, counsel
2. (in Canada) a lawyer who pleads in court
3. (US) a less common word for lawyer

Dicionários Infopédia Online wrote:Dicionários Infopédia Online:

Grã-Bretanha advogado;
a barrister of five years' standing um advogado com cinco anos de prática


Posts : 254
Join date : 2008-10-23
Age : 40
Location : Sydney - Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 :: Languages :: English :: Professions

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum